Re: Can't mount CD image of Win95 game

Hi,

Yvan Masson wrote:
> I am really not at ease using tools like hexdump,

I pondered a bit more. If it's an ISO filesystem wrapped into some header
and maybe a footer, then mount option -o offset= could help.

To obtain the offset of the first occurence of "CD001", do

  offst=$( expr \
             $( grep -a -o -b -m 1 CD001 cdimage.iso \
                | sed -e 's/:/ /' \
                | awk '{ print $1 }' ) - 32769 )

(It's the binary 1 before "CD001" which is normally at 32768. So grep will
 report byte position 32769 for "CD001" if offset is 0.)

Then use the resulting number with the mount command

  mount -t iso9660 -o offset="$offst" cdimage.iso /mnt

It might be that you get errors when mounting or when accessing the files
in the mounted image. Check your kernel logs even if all looks good.

---

(Do the year 1995 and the volume id "MSBSOLAR" mean that the game is
 "The Magic School Bus Explores the Solar System" ?)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas