Re: installation partition recommendations

On Sun, Dec 11, 2022 at 09:38:42AM +0000, Semih Ozlem wrote:
> Hi everyone I am trying to install debian 11 on a 32 gb usb.
> I created the following partition table
>
> sdd      8:48   1  28.7G  0 disk
> ├─sdd1   8:49   1     1G  0 part
> ├─sdd2   8:50   1   849M  0 part /media/user/NO_LABEL
> ├─sdd3   8:51   1  26.3G  0 part
> /media/user/2f83ff73-3bde-4021-99db-d6b61863ed8
> └─sdd4   8:52   1   561M  0 part /media/user/NO_LABEL1
>
> sdd1 is for swap
> sdd2 is for boot
> sdd4 is for /boot/efi
>
> sdd1 and sdd4 are fat32
> sdd3 is ext4
>
> the installation finished giving no errors but the system wont boot from
> this usb
>
> What should be changed

With a machine with 32G in total: I'd be very tempted to:

Use expert mode for the install

Take the default for "everything in one partition" as a guideline - that should
sort out booting with the EFI partition at the beinning. Resize the LVM partition to allow for your FAT partition at the end  which I presume is for data transfer.

If this is booting and running entirely from an external USB drive, be aware
that it may be very slow - depending on the speed of the USB.

The reason for "all in one" partitioning is that I have a similar setup on a
physical machine which only has a 32G flash drive internally - unless you have
to, don't second-guess the partitioner when faced with that amount of space.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater