Re: e-mail with line in body beginning with "From"

Hi,

paulf@quillandmouse.com wrote:
> [...] any other line which starts with "From" must
> be "armored". And the way you do that is to precede it with "> ".
> I don't know the RFCs involved, but I'm guessing they mandate or
> suggest this treatment.

It does not look like being fully specified by an RFC.

RFC 4155 "The application/mbox Media Type" mentions

  Many implementations are also known to escape message body lines that
  begin with the character sequence of "From "

and points to
  http://qmail.org/man/man5/mbox.html
where ">From quoting" is described in more detail.
Debian's man 5 mbox stems from package mutt and describes quoting schemes
"MBOXO", "MBOXRD", "MBOXCL".

RFC 4155 decries the situation but then says

  Also note that this specification does not prescribe any escape
  syntax for message body lines that begin with the character sequence
  of "From ".

Have a nice day :)

Thomas