Re: Synaptic on Debian 11.3 fails to install "kate"

07.12.22, 16:00 +0100, Richard Owlett:

Markus Schönhaber wrote:
Am 07.12.22 um 15:07 schrieb Richard Owlett:

I'm running Debian 11.3 with MATE desktop.
When I attempt to use Synaptic to install "kate" it responds:

W: Failed to fetch
http://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/pcre2/libpcre2-16-0_10.36-2_amd64.deb

    404  Not Found [IP: 199.232.98.132 80]

[...]

Is this bug or operator error?

If
apt update
helps, then it's the latter.

Been using Debian since days of Squeeze and never had the problem ;/
Your suggestion worked.

If your package cache is stale, the package manager might try to fetch package files which don't exist on the server (probably being replaced by newer versions) anymore. It does that since it doesn't know they're gone, because of the mismatch between the (stale) local cache and the (changed) situation on the server.
Then, refreshing the cache (apt update / apt-get update) fixes that.

--
Regards
  mks