Re: TBird mail

On Tue 06 Dec 2022 at 21:03:47 (-0500), gene heskett wrote:
> On 12/6/22 19:39, Felix Miata wrote:
> > gene heskett composed on 2022-12-06 18:58 (UTC-0500):

> > > what or where is this "profiledir:"?
> >
> > Mozilla's own product profiles can be located anywhere a user chooses to put them.
> > Profile names and locations are controlled for
> >
> > 	Firefox in ~/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini.
> > 	SeaMonkey in ~/.mozilla/seamonkey/profiles.ini
> > 	ThunderBird in ~/.thunderbird/profiles.ini
> >
> > Derivatives of them may be in a subdirectory in ~/.config/ or in ~/.*, such as
> >
> > 	Pale Moon in ~/.moonchild productions/pale moon/profiles.ini
> > > /home/gene/.thunderbird/f37v8icg.default-default/prefs.js
> > > I count 8 prefs.js in the above list, so which one is actually being
> > > talked about here?
> >
> > Verify by examining ~/.thunderbird/profiles.ini.
>
> Thank you Felix.
>
> I did that but the prefs.js at that address does not contain any of
> the the strings referenced in the original reply from Chuck Zmudzinski
> on 6/18/22.

Make a change to your preferences, save it, then:

  $ find . -type f -mmin -1440 -printf '%Ta%TH:%TM:%.5TS%11s  %P\n' | sort -n -k 2 | less # one day

Edit the . to a reasonable top of tree, 1440 to more like ten,
and the sort order, 2 (size) to 1 (timestamp) or 3 (filename).

That command will tell you what change in the last few minutes.

> I'd love to be able to install TDE, which would give me back the best
> email agent linux ever had, kmail-3.5 but with all its bugs fixed, but
> the first TDE package I select, generates over 300 hits of dependency
> hell from synaptic.

/var/log/apt/history keeps a record of what's installed by APT.
Look at the current contents and see whether that's true for
synaptic. If so, go for it; you can easily purge them all again
if you don't get what you want, by editing the history.

BTW, following the current rowlett thread, and seeing recommendations
for kate as an autoindenting editor, I typed:

  $ apt-get -s install kate

to give, with Recommends included:

  0 upgraded, 167 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

So 300 packages for a DE doesn't seem unreasonable.

> So I'm stuck with t-bird and its plethora of oddly spec'd hot keys
> that do nothing for the user but screw things up, many times doing
> nothing but stealing the focus w/o any popup. Just typing to reply to
> this msg has caused 6 pop-ups that had to be closed before I could
> resume typing in the middle of a word. Twice I've had to reclick on
> the blinking curser before it would resume accepting what I type. Yet
> folks accept that? More bugs than a 10 day old road kill in the
> northern hemispheres July.

Cheers,
David.