Re: Debian failed

On Sun, 2022-12-04 at 09:06 -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Dec 2022 15:52:31 +0100
> hw <hw@adminart.net> wrote:
>
> > so I wanted to have Debian on a Precision R7910 with AMD graphics card
> > and it failed because it refuses to use the amdgpu module.  I tried
> > forcing to load it when booting and it still didn't work.
> >
> > So I'm stuck with Fedora.  What's wrong with Debian that we can't even
> > get AMD cards to work.
>
> Before I get started with some questions to help you debug the problem,
> did you want some serious debugging assistance, or did you simply want
> to whine?

I'm not whining, I was merely telling.  There must be quite a few people
using AMD cards who must have been running into the same problem.

I can't very well debug this any further since I need the machine
working, so I installed Fedora instead, and I also have currently an
NVIDIA card installed.

After experiencing Debian, I'm no longer really inclined to use it on
workstations.  I'm re-considering Gentoo, but that has had overwhelming
problems in the past with updating which I don't want to have again.

> First serious debugging question: have you consulted Hardware for Linux?
> https://linux-hardware.org

No, why would I?  I expect AMD cards to work out of the box because the
driver comes with the kernel.  It does with Fedora.

When you search for the problem you'll find that I'm not the only one to
have it, and I can only assume that Debian is simply too old.

I just checked and they don't have data about the AMD card.