Re: Logout at apt upgrade

On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 02:36:57PM -0600, David Wright wrote:

[...]

> The only reasons I'd close down X are (a) a dist-upgrade from
> oldstable to stable (and the like),

That I do, too.

>                     and (b) dpkg-reconfigure
> console-setup and keyboard-configuration after I've been
> tinkering with /etc/console-setup/remap.inc (which is
> currently two years old). The latter may now be cargo-cult, but
> I think it was advised in the past.

I can't say much about that.

> Like you, I admit to being an fvwm user (since 1996; never used
> anything else).

I actually had a panoramic round trip: twm, a bit of olwm (what
can you do with 4 megabytes of RAM?), fvwm, several strange
things in between, Gnome DE (with Metacity), then XFCE, then
a couple of tiling WMs. So I *do* know for sure that fvwm is
made for me :-)

> The one application I do avoid upgrading while it's running is
> Firefox, but that's mainly because it occasionally gives a new
> startup screen after an upgrade, and I want to read what it says.

I take the risk and watch the thing going down in flames. I
admit that it gives me a strange feeling of satisfaction (I
might be a bit perverse, dunno).

> > Oh, something I forgot: besides no DM, my init system is still
> > SysV. This might or might not contribute to stability through
> > simplicity.
>
> No stability problems here with systemd. Nor with udev (apparently
> from the same stable, sorry for the pun) [...]

Udev I do have: a laptop with Linux and no udev is most probably
no fun, I think.

> And not forgetting the robustness of ext4, that allegedly
> "unfashionable" filesystem. My most frequent cause of "crashes",
> by far, is powercuts.

Yay for ext4 :-)

Cheeers