Re: Logout at apt upgrade

On 11/30/22, tomas@tuxteam.de <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 12:44:49AM +0100, DdB wrote:
>> Am 29.11.2022 um 23:35 schrieb Loïc Grenié:
>> >     when I apt upgrade my system, I often (one every three, more
>> >   or less) find myself brutally logged out of the window system,
>> >   with systemd services painfully restarting (or failing to restart).
>> >   The only way I can recover is usually to reboot.
>>
>> Yes, i see similar problem, amd AFAICT it is somewhat related to my use
>> of GNOME3. They insist on restarting the system for almost all package
>> updates, but sometimes, i refuse to and keep the machine running without
>> updating it. I am aware, this could cause troubles on the security-side.
>> That is why i am keeping a long list of system-backups.
>
> FWIW it never happened to me. But: I'm on a pretty minimal system by
> today's standards (X, Fvwm). The only application behaving strangely
> after a dist-upgrade is... the browser, Firefix: "Ohmigod, something
> funny happened, I'll have to close this tab, I'm sooo sorry".
>
> So it seems to be related to Gnome's love for complexity, yes (any
> KDE/XFCE users out there?)

XFCE user here - it's never happened to me.  Then again, I use the
synaptic package manager instead of apt upgrade so that might have
something to do with it.   And the needrestart package plays very
nicely with the synaptic package manager - after updating software I
get a popup offering to restart processes whose files were just
updated

Regards,
Lee