Buster->Bullseye scrambled xsane settings

I just upgraded my main machine from Buster to Bullseye; I have two more
machines that I upgraded recently and they're running well so I decided
to go for it on the machine on which I do my important work.  The
upgrade went smoothly and all in all works quite well.

But then I tried scanning.  I do a lot of scanning to PDF using xsane
and an Epson WF-2760 all-in-one.  Most of my scans are of printed
documents in black and white (I use the Lineart setting in xsane).

Last night I tried to do some scans for the first time since the
upgrade.  The xsane windows looked different from before; they opened in
different locations on the screen and had different contents.  The scans
themselves looked nothing like what I was used to; the contrast was
washed out (and adjusting the contrast slider doesn't help).  When I
scan a cheque the background causes random dots to appear - and there's
no threshold slider to adjust this.

The main xsane window added sliders for gamma, brightness, and contrast,
which I didn't have before; there was no threshold slider, although
on a subsequent run this slider appeared but seemed to have no effect.
I've been getting inconsistent results - on one invocation the gamma,
contrast, brightness, and threshold sliders disappeared, and now they
all appear except for threshold.

I tried copying the previous version of xsane back into /usr/bin from
the backup I took before the upgrade, but that made no difference.
Ditto for the configuration files in ~/.sane/xsane.  This suggests
that it's not the new version of xsane itself that is broken.

I know this all sounds rather incoherent, but I don't seem to be getting
coherent results.  Is there an xsane expert who can help me restore the
ability to scan black-and-white documents?  (Colour and grayscale scans
work beautifully, but that's not what I need right now.)  If all else
fails, is there another scanning package I could use in the meantime?

--
/~\  Charlie Gibbs                  |  Life is perverse.
\ /  <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid>      |  It can be beautiful -