Re: Debian 11 - Remove sid and go back to stable

On 2022-11-23 at 15:11, Amn wrote:

> Hi folks, I thought it would be a good idea to install the sid
> packages, but a lot of things are not working properly, so I would
> like to go back to stable source packages only. How can I do that?

I can think of two possible approaches, both of which come with
downsides.

Approach 1:

1a. Identify all of the packages for which you've installed a version
from sid.

1b. Identify the available version of each package which comes from stable.

1c. Drop sid from your sources.list (and 'apt update' or similar).

1d. Individually downgrade each package you identified to the version
you identified, using e.g. 'apt-get install packagename=version'.

This is not guaranteed to work, since not all packages support
downgrading. Attempt it at your own risk.

Approach 2:

2a. Back up your data.

2b. Reinstall Debian using the stable installer.

2c. Restore your backed-up data.

This is drastic, but will work.

To the best of my awareness, there is no good or practical way to go
from sid to stable without reinstalling.

In principle it's possible to go from testing to stable, by switching
your sources.list to point at testing by its codename instead of the
name 'testing' and then waiting for that codename to be released as the
new stable.

But since packages in sid don't necessarily ever go to testing, a
similar approach for going even from sid to testing (much less sid to
stable) can't be expected to be viable.

--
   The Wanderer