Re: About /etc/apt/sources.list | Warehouse for users of the stable version

Hi,

c0ldzera@outlook.com wrote:
> I have a question about stabilizing the warehouse:
> https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-handbook/apt.zh-cn.html#sect.apt-sources.list.stable

Most of us are probably not educated enough to cope with a chinese language
site. So i propose that we discuss the original english language version
  https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-handbook/apt.html#sect.apt-sources.list.stable

I guess that with "warehouse" you mean what the english site mentions as
"repository".

> Four bullseye are mentioned in this link,

I see only two lines which refer to "bullseye" without a suffix like
"-security":

  # Base repository
  deb https://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free
  deb-src https://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free

The "deb" line is for getting binary packages. The "deb-src" line is
for the source packages, which a normal user will use only when being
quite curious. (I rather quench my curiosity by looking at URLs like
  https://sources.debian.org/src/libisofs/1.5.4-1/
which are published by the packages' tracker pages like
  https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/libisofs
as "browse source code" to the right under the title "links".)

> Would it make any difference if
> only bullseye and bullsey-updates were added to /etc/apt/sources.list and he
> added all four bullseys to /etc/apt/sources.list at the same time?

I guess that this sentence fell victim to automatic translation and that
the "and he" is the separator between two alternatives.
I.e. the question would be whether omitting bullseye-security and
bullseye-backports makes a difference.

If so, then the answer is that bullseye-security is for important bug
fixes which should generally be installed as soon as they are available.
So i would say that omitting it makes an important and dangerous difference.

bullseye-backports is only for users who want to use certain packages
from the current "Testing" version of Debian. Omitting it should not hamper
normal use and administration of a Debian GNU/Linux system.

The paragraphs 6.1.2.1. to 6.1.2.4. explain the purpose of the various
bullseye-* repositories.

If the chinese translation is unclear, then the question changes to:
  How can i contact the handbook translators ?
Looking at the german translation's intro page
  https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-handbook/index.de.html
i find no hint.
At
  https://debian-handbook.info/2012/translating-the-debian-administrators-handbook/
i find the mailing list address
  debian-handbook-translators@alioth-lists.debian.net
of which the archive shows some activity
  https://alioth-lists.debian.net/pipermail/debian-handbook-translators/

Have a nice day :)

Thomas