Re: FIREFOX is killing the whole PC

On Sat 19 Nov 2022, at 13:14, DdB <debianlist@potentially-spam.de-bruyn.de> wrote:
> Am 19.11.2022 um 10:34 schrieb Schwibinger Michael:
>> Hello
>>
>> Any idea?
>>
>> What did happen?
>> FF did open a page with bad PC,
>> so it needs 5 minutes to open it.
>> We killed the tab.
>> When we now try to open FF
>> whole PC is blocked.
>> How can we clean FF
>> because bad page is in it.
>>
>> Regards
>> Sophie
>>

> Did you try to start it from the commandline with the option safe-mode?
>
> firefox --safe-mode

If the idea is to prevent previous tabs from opening on startup, that only works for me if firefox is already running when I run

firefox --safe-mode

...which may not be possible for Sophie.

Removing the line:

user_pref("browser.startup.page", 3);

from

/home/username/.mozilla/firefox/XXX.default-esr/prefs.js

has the desired effect (where "XXX" is the appropriate string of letters and numbers).

There may be more than one such profile directory, in which case, if other users don't rely on tabs being restored, then remove that line from all the

XXX.whatever/prefs.js

files you can find.

It may also be necessary to add the line

user_pref("browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash", false);

I don't know if the order of lines matters.  In my prefs.js, this appears in the sequence

user_pref("browser.search.region", "GB");
user_pref("browser.search.widget.inNavBar", true);
user_pref("browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash", false);

when added from about:config, but the 2nd line is non-default as well as the 3rd, and these are only present if added manually or set in settings or about:config, as appropriate.

Hope that helps
Gareth