Explaining snapshots (for backup)

I'm not really clear on the concept of a snapshot (for backup) -- I've done a
little googling but haven't found an explanation that "satisfies" me.

In this email I want to hyptothesize on what a snapshot might be in the hope
that others can correct / amplify it when I go wrong.

Starting from a beginning, I suppose I could copy the entire contents of
whatever I wanted to make a snapshot of (by any of a variety of tools -- dd,
cp, ...) and call that a snapshot, although the more common name for it would
be a "full backup".

Later, I could copy any files (as files) that have changed since the date I made
the full backup and call that a snapshot.  (I might use find to identify the
files that have changed, and then any of a variety of tools to actually copy
them somewhere (and call that a shapshot).)

I suppose it wouild be possible to do something like this at a block level,
that is copying only blocks of a file which have changed.  (Not sure which
commands might help me do that, but I don't think I'd really be interested in
doing that.)

I also hear (i.e., read) statements from which I infer that some snapshots
included only the metadata of the files (or blocks???), but I'm not sure of the
value of either of those to me -- how can you reconstruct a possibly missing
file (or block) from the metadata?

Thanks!

--
rhk

If you reply: snip, snip, and snip again; leave attributions; avoid HTML;
avoid top posting; and keep it "on list".  (Oxford comma included at no
charge.)  If you change topics, change the Subject: line.

Writing is often meant for others to read and understand (legal agreements
excepted?) -- make it easier for your reader by various means, including
liberal use of whitespace and minimal use of (obscure?) jargon, abbreviations,
acronyms, and references.

If someone else has already responded to a question, decide whether any
response you add will be helpful or not ...

A picture is worth a thousand words -- divide by 10 for each minute of video
(or audio) or create a transcript and edit it to 10% of the original.