Backing up whole Debian installation from laptop to laptop via ssh?

I have an old Thinkpad on its last legs which I cannot shutdown (long
story). Then I have a slightly better Thinkpad with similar hard
drive. Debian is split into three partitions (root. home and swap)/

I'll recreate a similar partitioning from a live usb on the newer
laptop, then I'll mount the root partition, connect to the old laptop
via ssh, copy the data on the new drive, reinstall grub and modify
fstab.

Will this work?

--
Ottavio Caruso