Re: support for ancient peripherals

On Sun, 6 Nov 2022 06:31:04 -0500, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
> Kleene, Steven (kleenesj) wrote:
>> 1. A Northgate Omnikey 101 keyboard (from 2006) with a 5-pin DIN cable,
>> currently going via an adapter to a PS/2 port in the desktop;
>
> 2. There are two kinds of PS/2 to USB adapters; one kind will
> work for you, and the other won't. You need an "active"
> converter, as opposed to a passive adapter, which assumes that
> the keyboard is of a new variety that just needs the wiring. The
> active ones tend to cost $10-20, and the passive ones $2-5.

	It is my understanding, that those simple adapters only workD
with devices, that themself support USB. Actual converters are usually
USBA-2 PS/2 type, those work with AT keyboard adapter.

>> 3. An HP LaserJet 5MP printer from 1995 with a parallel-port connector.
>
> StarTech sells a $42 PCIe card with a parallel port and two
> serial ports. If you're getting a desktop, this might be your
> preferred path.

	USB-LPT cables do work with printers. They are actually only
intended for connecting LPT printers and not other LPT devices. At least
that is my understanding.

--
Virgo Pärna
virgo.parna@mail.ee