Re: Helium [was: t-bird screwing up]

On 11/3/22 10:39, David Wright wrote:
[...]
Do you think they cared?

Of course not, our taxes were footing the bill and they can always
feel that last penny and be upset they did not get it.
  Forget John Glenn: his ride was just the
consolation prize. You have the US Government in a panic to produce
an ICBM worthy of the name, and they have a virtual monopoly on the
world production of He. Feel free to mark the waste down as another
of the project's failures if you like.
I did that even before the Trieste went down. The waste was just a CODB for those folks.
The operative word is seal, not the thickness of the monel walls.
Seal—and no cracks.
You still don't get it, the helium molecule is so small it wiggles
thru a steel walls  huge molecules
like they were a layer of felt. Monel alloy is denser but it still leaks.
I haven't done the experiments, but others, like this pair, have.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0042207X61900185

I haven't paid for the full PDF, but a year earlier, the same pair
"investigated the permeation of helium and hydrogen through 0.25 mm
thick tubes at 1023 K. Hydrogen permeation was detected through Monel,
304 stainless steel, Kovar, Inconel, nickel, and 52 Alloy (Fe50 Ni50)
even at temperatures approaching room temperature. The same metals
were not permeated by helium at temperatures as high as 1123 K."
   R. Collins and J. Turnbull. Degassing and permeation of gases
   in tube materials. In D. Slater, editor, Advances in Electron
   Tube Techniques, Proceedings of the Fifth National Conference,
   pages 186–190. 1960.
(reported in a dissertation by Daniel Schultheiß, Augsburg, 2007)
I don't know how it was leaking but it went someplace.

We bought a small bottle, probably 25+ years ago now, one of the
news girls was getting married, and the tv station threw a party for her.

When we were done blowing up balloons I personally closed the tank valve while the regulator was showing around 1500 lbs.  This was in late September. Come time for the annual roast turkey in November, I cracked the valve and the needle just barely moved, maybe 50 lbs left. By then we were being billed for the demurrage
at about $50/mo so it went home the next business day.
Cheers,
David.

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.