Re: loss of mbmon function

On 11/1/22 06:20, gene heskett wrote:
Greetings all;

I am now suffering from a hang on reboot. And in looking for info, I find that gkrellm can only see temps. I don't push this so they stay in the 29 to 30C range. gkrellm is, and has been part of my housekeeping for 20 years.

But mbmon was not installed, but it and all its suggested dependency's are now, and two reboots, which took about 20 minutes just to get to the bios screen while dancing a jig on the del key. During that time I can hear a very faint clicking sound from time to time. zero activity on any drive controller led, there are two controllers, one of course on the mobo, and one that interfaces a 4 drive raid10 for the /home.

Mobo is: Asus PRIME Z370-A II, BIOS 0801 04/24/2019

mbmon claims to run by itself but needs root, and when ran with sudo, reports
gene@coyote:~$ sudo mbmon
[sudo] password for gene:
No Hardware Monitor found!!
InitMBInfo: Success

What do you suggest I install so this Asus mobo  can be monitored.

Those symptoms would seem to indicate that a disk drive is failing, causing the motherboard firmware and/or the HBA/RAID controller firmware to enter a retry/ timeout loop.

I would try:

1. Enter the motherboard firmware setup utility during POST and look for warnings, errors, log entries, etc..

2. Enter the HBA/RAID firmware configuration utility during POST and look for warnings, errors, log entries, etc..

3.  Examine dmesg(1) after boot, looking for errors, warnings, etc..

4. Examine the files in /var/log after boot, looking for warnings, errors, etc..

5. Run SMART short tests on all drives, generate SMART reports for all drives, and then look at the reports for symptoms of a failing drive.

6. Examine dmesg(1) and /var/log files again after the machine has been up for a while and look for warnings, errors, etc..

7. POST and Debian boot messages can scroll by faster than you can see them, and I am unsure if everything ends up in a log file. If you cannot find any clues using the above steps, set up a video camera to record the console during boot. Then, look at the video for warnings, errors, etc..

David