Re: Request for Debian Subsystem for Windows like

On Thu, Oct 27 2022 at 02:11:46 PM, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
> Suman Garai wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I know that this topic is nothing new, that there are software packages &
>> games that run on Windows, but there isn't support for Linux. Even
>> softwares like Wine & PlayOnLinux sometimes falters on supporting the
>> latest ones. Therefore, I wanted to know why isn't Debian putting efforts
>> to build something like Windows Subsystem for Linux or Windows Subsystem
>> for Android to support the apps across the Windows & Mac platforms.
>

> The answer is: Debian only works on and supplies
> free-as-in-freedom software. Windows is not. WINE is,
> PlayOnLinux is not. Android's AOSP is; much of the rest of
> Android is not.

PlayOnLinux itself is free software, distributed under GPLv3.  Debian
ships it in the contrib repository.  As its copyright file states, it is
in contrib because it downloads and executes unchecked scripts.

This doesn't affect the point you're making, though.

--
regards,
kushal