Re: Some of the parameters used in my genisoimage command don't produce a bootable ISO image

On Sat, Oct 22, 2022 at 05:13:18PM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Mario Marietto wrote:
> > I'm trying to change the pictures inside the /live/initrd.gz file.
>
> I really wonder where this file comes from.
>

> > BUT after having "burned" another ISO image using Cubic,I've seen that it
> > still uses the old images that I have previously added inside the
> > /live/initrd file. I don't understand why ? It seems that this file is
> > re-generated taking the files from somewhere else.
>
> Prime suspect would be Cubic. The "u" in in its name means "Ubuntu".
> So it probably makes assumptions which the Debian Live ISO does not
> fulfill. Did you follow the advise of "Cubic PPA (cubic-wizard)" in
>   https://answers.launchpad.net/cubic/+question/703422
> to ask your question on the "official web site" ?

Further to this: if you are dealing with Debian-live images as your base,
use Debian tools. If you're dealing with Ubuntu images use Ubuntu-based
PPAs. In general, they really don't mix - to the extent that there's
a whole section on the Debian wiki to this effect.

https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

The number of people working on Debian-live images at any one time is
small: if you can't raise anyone, then I might also suggest having
a chat with Roland Clobus who is working on making live images
work reproducibly with the Reproducible build project.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive

I see you're already contributing on the debian-live mailing list
so should find the appropriate people there. highvoltage, of course,
is also the Debian Project leader so is very busy with everything
else and not necessarily debian-live build problems.

> > So. What's my problem ?
>
> It could be that you try to squeeze the square block into the round hole.
> Either eliminate Cubic from your proceedings or ask its developer via
>   https://github.com/PJ-Singh-001/Cubic/issues
>

> Have a nice day :)
>
> Thomas

With every good wish, as ever,