Re: Some of the parameters used in my genisoimage command don't produce a bootable ISO image

Hi,

Mario Marietto wrote:
> echo /usr/share/plymouth/themes/homeworld/logo.png | cpio -H newc -o -A -F
> /home/ziomario/Scrivania/PassT-Cubic/Debian-new/custom-disk/live/initrd

Didn't you strive for manipulating the initrd in /d-i/gtk/initrd.gz of
the ISO ?
(Are you still with debian-live-11.5.0-amd64-xfce.iso , where i see
 no /live/initrd.gz but /live/initrd.img-5.10.0-18-amd64 ?)

> echo /usr/share/plymouth/debian-logo.png | cpio -H newc -o -A -F initrd

I see in both initrds only relative paths.
In /live/initrd.img-5.10.0-18-amd64 :
  .
  bin
  conf
  conf/arch.conf

In /d-i/gtk/initrd.gz :
  bin
  bin/anna
  bin/anna-install

So i would strive for such a path with the appended file:

  cd / ; echo usr/share/plymouth/debian-logo.png | cpio ...

> Furthermore,I would like to know how to remove a file that's stored inside a
> cpio archive

For that you have to unpack the cpio archive, do the desired manipulations,
and pack up the archive from the manipulated tree.
(This will also avoid multiple occurences of the same file path, of which
the last one survives when unpacking the archive.)

So it's about time you read
  https://www.gnu.org/software/cpio/manual/cpio.html
which proposes for unpacking:

  cpio -idv < tree.cpio

Do this in some playground directory. "tree.cpio" is the placeholder name
for your decompressed archive. If you have absolute paths in the archive
you need option --no-absolute-filenames.

The manual proposes for packing up the manipulated archive:

  find . -print -depth | cpio -ov > tree.cpio

Option -v will cause both operations to report all file paths.
You might want to omit it.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas