Re: permanently adding driver to Debian live USB stick

On 10/20/22 04:54, Adam Weremczuk wrote:
Hi all,

Hi.  :-)

My Deb 11.5 live bootable USB stick is missing a driver for Intel Wireless-AC 9560 adapter.

Intel provides a link to the missing firmware: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005511/wireless.html

The safest approach is to use Debian packages -- they have undergone a Q/A process, they are under configuration management, and there is a process for reporting bugs.

and instruct to copy files (iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-34.ucode in this case) to /lib/firmware which is nowhere to be found on the USB stick.

The directory structure looks like below:

(f) autorun.ico
(f) autorun.inf
(d) boot
(d) d-i
(d) dists
(d) EFI
(d) isolinux
(d) live
(d) pool
(f) syslinux.cfg

Is there a way of permanently including the firmware file so that the WiFi automatically becomes operational every time I boot Debian live?

I find it very useful to install Debian onto a good USB flash drive (I use SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 16 GB). This gives me a compact and portable Debian instance that I can administer however I want. It is very useful for system administration and trouble-shooting. Performance is adequate for these purposes, but can become choppy when the USB system drive is under heavy write I/O.

If I wanted a portable Debian installation for desktop/ workstation use, I would probably choose a SATA SSD and USB-SATA adapter, or an NVMe SSD and USB-NVMe adapter.

The only wrinkle is if the Debian Installer (d-i) is also on a USB flash drive -- d-i allocates /dev/sda to itself; which means the target drive is some other device node (typically /dev/sdb).

David