Re: is Ansible easy to use?

Philipp Ewald <philipp.ewald@digionline.de> writes:

> Hi folks,
>
> is ansible a easy way to configure customized hosts?
> First try, its super complicated for me.

For me it has been. ssh loops work too though. Sometimes I've felt
Ansible whines needlessly, something like "please don't do what you need
to do, do it our backward way instead". I think that was about editing a
file with sed.

> Trying to create multiple files with content. It takes more time to
> create the playbook then creating this file by hand (this damn syntax
> acomplicates everything more)
> Then formatting is destroyed or need more time on creating the playbook...

Are you sure you aren't over complicating things? To me that sounds like
you need to copy a few files over? Or do you need to create host specific
files? But do they have to be created by Ansible?

> It is so hard or im so bad?

I use ansible a little sometimes to propagate config stuff in my little
home network like firewall configuration and such. So, copying files and
running commands mostly. Sometimes appending lines to config files.

I don't really understand why Ansible has two interfaces, the playbook
one and the normal command line. But, for my simple needs running stuff
on the command line works and I have a bunch of notes on how to do
things. Unfortunately pretty much every example online seems to use
playbooks.