Re: signing up to fourms

On Wed, Oct 19, 2022 at 04:30:22AM +0000, Bruce H. wrote:

Hi Bruce,

> Why do you have to make it so hard to sign up to the user forums?

Much of Debian is conducted via email and mailing lists. Some of the
reasons for this are historical - we've been doing this for 29 years -
and some are practical. List archives stick around and can be readily
searchable. Forums are much newer for us and (relatively) unofficial
in that sense.

The FAQ over there at https://forums.debian.net/app.php/help/faq may help.

> Auto gen passwords do not work, and the requirements are excessive!
> Antispam question #1 makes no sense.
> No (show text) for passwords.
> Confirmation item (shield for window) makes no sense.

I'd suggest you contact a board administrator as suggested in the FAQ there.

> I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING SO STUPID. (67yr old, been using nothing but Ubuntu and Mint and other Linux OS's since 2006. Started with SuSe Professional 8.2 on CD's  - 2003)

I'm pleased for you that this is your first experience of problems on any
Linux system and would be very happy to help troubleshoot them for you.

I'm the person that writes the FAQ message that goes out on this list on
the first of every month - if I've missed something, lets work together
on making this experience better. I would remind every participant in
the list that the Code of Conduct applies, to be constructive and welcoming
as far as you can.

> Wouldn't be here but for lack of basic apps that are standard on EVERY other OS I've ever installed and that's a lot of different systems in 16 years.

Ah, OK. Which version of Debian have you installed - number/codename?
How did you install and what GUI are you using?
Unlike Ubuntu, Debian will allow you to install one of several GUIs - there
aren't separate versions per desktop like Xubuntu and so on.

If you've come from Ubuntu and Mint (which are Debian-based) then I'm
guessing you are familiar with apt and installing packages - maybe via a GUI
 front end?

> Cant even find a app for formatting disks, HD's or USB sticks.

GNOME Disks, Gparted ...

> Am I going to have to find another distro or can you all get your shit together so I can join the forums and use a Debian distro?

You've been *using* a Debian-based distro since 2006: you're now using Debian
itself. Many of the core applications are identical in every one of the
200 or so Debian derivatives although they do differ. (Our expertise here
is primarily Debian itself - any other advice we give on Ubuntu etc. can
only ever be on a best endeavours basis and we always reserve the right
to say that people need to ask the other distribution for advice on what they
do there.)

> I know how to get around a lot of things, but why are you making everything so hard? Having to install every needed app by hand that should be included in the OS as standard!

What do you _actually_ need that you can't find and hasn't been installed?
What are the problems you're facing? If you can help us to help you rather
than venting, it'll go further. I *know* the frustration of something just
not working and needing to take it out on somebody/anybody but as an initial
appearance on the mailing list, this could have been phrased more
constructively and put your undoubted experience in a better light.

> Sincerely, Bruce Harrington

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy Cater