Re: Strange syslog behaviour [Solved]

While I was composing my second post in this thread,
On Tue 12 Apr 2022 at 06:38:34 (+0800), Jeremy Ardley wrote:
> On 11/4/22 12:00 pm, Jeremy Ardley wrote:
> > On 11/4/22 11:46 am, David Wright wrote:
> > >
> > > There are tabooext and taboopat directives for ignoring files in
> > > logrotated.d, and I would have thought it reasonable to exclude
> > > these sorts of housekeeping files by default, because they're very
> > > likely to contain some duplication. I would file a bug against
> > > logrotate.
> > >
> > Keywords tabooext and taboopat don't appear in /etc/*
> >
> > I did get a hit in binary file /usr/sbin/rsyslogd
> >

> Further to resolving the problem, on one system I ran
>
> logrotate --debug /etc/logrotate.conf
>
> And discovered that /etc/logrotate.d/inetutils-syslogd was also being
> loaded. It had duplicates of many entries in /etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog

If both those file exist, then I would think that's the cause of your
double rotation problem. As for the .dpkg-{old,dist} files, they just
reflect different responses for the upgrading of /etc/logrotate.d/dpkg
when dpkg was being upgraded on the two systems.

> I have no idea why inetutils did this. I recall inetutils also did
> some other bad stuff I had to disable.

AFAICT there's no package "inetutils", but eleven inetutils-* separate
packages, amongst them inetutils-ping, inetutils-traceroute and
inetutils-syslogd.

> All I wanted was ping but I got a world of hurt as well!

Most people, I suspect, have iputils-ping installed. On my bullseye
systems, it gets installed by the d-i a little after netbase and a
little before logrotate. That's in the early debootstrap stage, and
before the in-target stages.

>From the follow-up to your post, I get the impression that you've
pulled in some inetutils-* stuff. AFAICT inetutils-ping kicks out
iputils-ping, and inetutils-traceroute kicks out traceroute without
any complications, but you appear to have installed inetutils-syslogd,
perhaps on account of inetutils-inetd, but without removing rsyslogd.
In the follow-up, you appear to prevent -syslogd and -inetd from
doing anything, so one might ask why they're installed at all. Have
I missed spotting some dependency?

Cheers,
David.