Re: Some of the parameters used in my genisoimage command don't produce a bootable ISO image

Hi,

Mario Marietto wrote:
> What I haven't understood well is if, in your opinion, this "code" is well
> written or not :
>
> menuentry "Debian GNU/Linux Custom (kernel 5.10.0-18-amd64)" {
>   linux /d-i/gtk/vmlinuz APPEND file=/cdrom/preseed/preseed.cfg auto=true initrd=/live/initrd.gz boot=live components locales=en_US.UTF-8 quiet splash "${loopback}"
>  initrd /d-i/gtk/initrd.gz

I doubt that "APPEND" and "initrd=/live/initrd.gz" are appropriate.

As already stated, "APPEND" is a SYSLINUX/ISOLINUX configuration directive
  https://wiki.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Config#APPEND
But you use it as argument to GRUB2's "linux" command, from where i
expect it to become a Linux kernel argument which is not a defined
kernel option.

"initrd=/live/initrd.gz" is a Linux kernel option:
  https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/initrd.html
This (quite old) document promises that Linux will try to unpack the
cpio image into the RAM disk. But there is no file /live/initrd.gz in the
ISO.

"initrd" in an own line and without "=" is the GRUB2 command to specify
one or more initial ramdisks:
  https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html#initrd

Neither "APPEND" nor an "initrd=" kernel option are to see in the original
GRUB2 configuration of debian-live-11.5.0-amd64-xfce.iso .
So i assume they sneaked in while you were tinkering around with various
inspirations from the internet and came to a ISOLINUX configuration
example.
I advise to try whether your GRUB2 configuration works as well if you
omit them.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas