Re: debugging apt-get

On Wednesday, 12 October 2022 at 01:10:06 UTC-4, tomas wrote:

> Try doing "apt-cache policy Y", that might shed light on this.

This reports
```
Y:
 Installed: (none)
 Candidate: 1.0.3
 Version table:
    1.0.3 500
       500 <repo> focal/main amd64 Packages
    1.0.1 500
       500 <repo> focal/main amd64 Packages
```

> > (I'm running on Ubuntu 20.04, using apt-get=2.0.6)
> (Isn't there a Ubuntu mailing list, btw? They might be doing funny stuff
> with their packaging which perhaps change the problem space)

The repo is actually our own in-house repo (managed via artifactory).
Are there any clear semantic rules spelled out in some document that govern what should happen ? I'm surprised that if my package "X" has specific and unambiguous dependencies on an existing package "Y", and that version exists in the repo, it should be installed. Am I missing something ?

Is this an `apt-get` bug ? Is there any way to debug this further ?
(For a specific case I can work around the issue by injecting an explicit `apt-get install` command, but this is of course not a scalable solution for the general case.)

Would there be another place (perhaps an apt-get - specific mailing list or bug tracker) where I can follow up to try to resolve this ?

Thanks,