Re: Some of the parameters used in my genisoimage command don't produce a bootable ISO image

Actually I'm using only UEFI and the file that I should modify is located on /home/ziomario/Scrivania/PassT-Cubic/Debian-new/custom-disk/boot/grub/grub.cfg. What works is this :

menuentry "Debian GNU/Linux Custom (kernel 5.10.0-18-amd64)" {
  linux /d-i/gtk/vmlinuz APPEND file=/cdrom/preseed/preseed.cfg auto=true initrd=/live/initrd.gz boot=live components locales=en_US.UTF-8 quiet splash "${loopback}"
  initrd /d-i/gtk/initrd.gz
}

NOT this :

menuentry "English (en)" {
  linux /live/vmlinuz boot=casper APPEND file=/cdrom/preseed/preseed.cfg initrd=/live/initrd.gz boot=live components locales=en_US.UTF-8 quiet splash intel_iommu=on "${loopback}"
  initrd /live/initrd.gz
}

I think because the script that detects the presence of the preseed file is inside the /d-i/gtk/initrd.gz and NOT inside /live/initrd.gz. Maybe something like this will work ?

menuentry "English (en)" {
  linux /live/vmlinuz boot=casper APPEND file=/cdrom/preseed/preseed.cfg initrd=/d-i/gtk/initrd.gz boot=live components locales=en_US.UTF-8 quiet splash intel_iommu=on "${loopback}"
  initrd /d-i/gtk/initrd.gz
}

or  :

menuentry "Graphical Debian Installer" {
  linux  /d-i/gtk/vmlinuz APPEND file=/cdrom/preseed/preseed.cfg video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=788 "${loopback}"
  initrd /d-i/gtk/initrd.gz
}

I'm not interested in modifying the isolinux / menu.cfg file,so I will remove from there any reference to the preseed.cfg file.

Il giorno mer 12 ott 2022 alle ore 08:39 Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net> ha scritto:
Hi,

Mario Marietto wrote:
> In the end I found the solution.

Congrats.

Some remarks on the way to success:

> isolinux/menu.cfg
> LABEL English (en)
>   SAY "Booting English (en)..."
>   linux /live/vmlinuz boot=casper APPEND file=/cdrom/preseed/preseed.cfg

I think "APPEND" should be in an extra line. At least it is so in the
examples which i saw up to now.

> boot/grub/grub.cfg
> menuentry "English (en)" {
>   linux /live/vmlinuz boot=casper APPEND file=/cdrom/preseed/preseed.cfg

"APPEND" is SYSLINUX/ISOLINUX speech, not GRUB.
I assume that this "APPEND" is handed over to the Linux kernel as
argument, like the others.

  https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html#initrd
  https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/grub.html#linux

> What is "${loopback}" in the context below ?
> set loopback="findiso=${iso_path}"
> export loopback
>   linux /live/vmlinuz ... "${loopback}"

Interesting question, again.

> In the end I found the solution.
> menuentry "Debian GNU/Linux Custom (kernel 5.10.0-18-amd64)" {
>  linux /d-i/gtk/vmlinuz APPEND file=/cdrom/preseed/preseed.cfg

I really wonder what the kernel thinks when seeing this "APPEND", of which
i still think is not appropriate.
I'd try in any case whether it can be omitted. If this remains as
successful end of this thread, then i fear that future readers might get
confused by it.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas

--