Re: Some of the parameters used in my genisoimage command don't produce a bootable ISO image

Finally,this version works as expected :

script2.sh

orig_iso=debian-live-11.5.0-amd64-xfce.iso
new_iso=debian-live-11.5.0-amd64-modified-xfce.iso
mbr_template=isohdpfx.bin

# Extract MBR template file to disk
dd if="$orig_iso" bs=1 count=432 of="$mbr_template"

   xorriso \
   -outdev "$new_iso" -blank as_needed \
   -volid d-live \
   -padding 0 \
   -map /home/ziomario/Scrivania/PassT-Cubic/ISO/debian-live-11.5.0-amd64-xfce / \
   -chmod 0755 / -- \
   -boot_image isolinux dir=/isolinux \
   -boot_image isolinux system_area=/home/ziomario/Scrivania/PassT-Cubic/ISO/isohdpfx.bin \
   -boot_image any next \
   -boot_image any efi_path=boot/grub/efi.img \
   -boot_image isolinux partition_entry=gpt_basdat

Il giorno lun 10 ott 2022 alle ore 12:15 Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net> ha scritto:
Hi,

Mario Marietto wrote:
> Drive current: -outdev 'debian-live-11.5.0-amd64-xfce.iso'
> Media current: stdio file, overwriteable
> Media status : is written , is appendable
> Media summary: 1 session, 1310720 data blocks, 2560m data, 40.3g free
> xorriso : FAILURE : -indev differs from -outdev and -outdev media holds non-zero data

Remove or rename debian-live-11.5.0-amd64-xfce.iso before you try to let
xorriso use this name as target for writing.

Other than with the mkisofs emulation, the native command mode does not
automatically truncate the -outdev target to 0 bytes. That's mainly because
-outdev may also be an optical drive which cannot be truncated.
Instead some optical media can be blanked and some can be overwritten.
Data files as targets are considered to be pseudo-drives which behave like
DVD+RW or BD-RE media.

In any case, if the target looks like containing valid data, the xorriso
user has to invalidate those data explicitely. In case of a data file you
may remove or rename it. For all, real and pseudo drives, the data can be
invalidated by

  xorriso -outdev "$target" -blank as_needed

This works with CD-RW, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, BD-RE, block devices, and
data files. Data files don't shrink in sizei by -blank, but can afterwards
be overwritten from their beginning and may grow.

The -outdev target may only exist with a recognizable ISO 9660 filesystem
if the xorriso run uses it also as -indev for multi-session. In that case,
the ISO 9660 filesystem in the image file or on the medium does not get
truncated but rather expanded by a new session.
(The combination of -indev X -outdev X is normally abbreviated as: -dev X)

See this section in man xorriso:
  "Creating, Growing, Modifying, Blind Growing:"

Have a nice day :)

Thomas

--
Mario.