Anacron job output/email

Folks:

I have a Raspberry Pi (Raspberry Pi OS = Debian version 11.5) which
runs a backup daily via a file called /etc/cron.daily/backup. This file
generates copious output, which should get emailed to root. The backup
script ran this morning at 06:25, as predicted. I know this because it
created a timestamp file at the end of its backup, and that file
indicates it ran on schedule. However, there is no email containing its
output. I checked the contents of /var/mail, and there's no output.
FWIW, when run manually, it generates the aforementioned output.

I haven't tampered with anacron other than to add the script to the
directory above. Can anyone give me a clue why the output of the script
would fail to generate an email for me?

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster