Re: odbc_config missing

On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 12:03:46AM -0500, Igor Korot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 10:57 PM <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 11:47:58AM -0500, Igor Korot wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > It still feels wrong however, that the distro maintainers dictate
> > > to upstream packages how to do their business.
> >
> > which is... distributing and integrating the software? (after all,
> > that's what those *-config are supposed to do, aren't they?)
>
> Yes, because surprisingly enough I didn't have any issues with PostgreSQL
> library config script and neither mySQL library config script.
>
> Does unixODBC have more love than everything else? ;-)

Most probably just a different maintainer. Too lazy to look it up
right now.

> Or there is something else going on?
>
> The maintainers just needs to decide whether everything should use
> "pkg-config" or everything should use "own config" file.

There are few things which get decided top-down in Debian. That's one
of the most salient points of this distro. That's what I appreciate
in it.

> And if its me - I'd vote for letter - less maintenance burden for me.
> If something bad happens - lets upstream deal with the issues.
>
> Wouldn't you?

Not necessarily. The foo-config (for foo in PostgreSQL, sqlite, MariaDB)
all behave probably slightly differently. That's why pkg-config entered
the scene, after all. So there are arguments for both sides,

Such transitions sometimes work, sometimes they don't.

Cheers