Re: Installing on Rock Pi 4

Nicolas George <george@nsup.org> writes:

> Hi. I am trying to install Debian on a Rock Pi 4 (v1.73). It is a
> system-on-chip similar to and mostly compatible with the Raspberry Pi 4
> but with an on-board SSD.
>
> I have managed to boot and install one of the Debian images provided by
> the vendor, but they are obsolete or third-party or both.

Well, upgrading that to current Debian could be one way forward. There
are tools in Debian you can use to weed out the proprietary stuff if
that's a concern. Upgrades in Debian work in case you're unaware but
follow the release notes.

> Does anybody have something to suggest?

Not really. I had no luck installing Debian on my Raspberry Pi CM3+ with
a CM-IO-POE-BOX base board so I went with Ubuntu since it just worked.
With Debian I got nothing on the serial port. I think I asked on some
mailing list and then was adviced to ask on IRC but got nowhere. Nobody
seemed to have the same hardware. Could be something simple or not.

I guess, with a running Ubuntu I could convert it to Debian, I've done
such to a VPS running Ubuntu once. There were instructions to follow
though.