Re: Processors older than Intel Pentium 4

On Sun, Jul 17, 2022 at 12:30 AM Marco <mo01@posteo.de> wrote:
Am Sat, 16 Jul 2022 11:26:44 -0400
schrieb Timothy M Butterworth <timothy.m.butterworth@gmail.com>:

> Is anyone running Debian 11 on a processor older than Pentium 4? I ask
> because I would like to bump 32 bit OS support from i386 (1985) to
> i686 Pentium 4 and newer.

It would be interesting what the benefit of that is. You may compile
amd64 packages with support for SSE, SSE2, etc., this won't break
something, but for i386 (only a small amount of computers really needs
that) this will make many of the current usages of i386 impossible.

All thanks for the responses but the situation is mute. Debian already migrated to i686 as the minimum supported version a few years ago. i686 supports Pentium 3 which is the oldest processor in use on this thread. Some internet sites say that i686 is Pentium 4 and later others say that it is Pentium 2 or later. Others say that i686 is Pentium Pro version 2 and later. If it is indeed Pentium Pro and later then a lot of older processors are still supported: Pentium 2, Pentium 3, Pentium M, Celeron, Pentium 4 etc.

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org/