NFC security key on a desktop

My employer uses Duo for two-factor authentication and offers three options: cellphone, landline, or security key.  I go to the desired app (e.g. Outlook) in Firefox.  I select the landline I want, Duo calls it, and I hit any key to authenticate.  So far so good.  But as of January 1st, my employer will drop support for landlines.  I do not have or want a cellphone (long story).

That leaves one option: a security key that plugs into USB.  I had a Yubico Security Key NFC made to work with Duo, and it succeeds when I test it from a Windows laptop.  But I use a desktop running Buster (v10, oldstable).  I understand there are NFC (near-field communication) readers that can support a security key.  Has anyone managed to get an NFC reader working with a security key on a Debian desktop?  If so, I'd like to know how to set that up.

Thank you.