Re: bash: which: command not found? + (E: Unable to locate package which? ...)

On 2022-07-08 at 06:02, Albretch Mueller wrote:

>  Actually, I just noticed I couldn't run "cat" as regular user but I
> could as root how could that form a "multiversing" be -technically-
> happening (other than having forces actively messing with your work)?

I don't understand what this means, and I don't recognize this use of
"multiversing". (At a guess, I'd parse that verb as meaning something
like "splitting into multiple universes", which seems completely
unrelated to this context.)

I also don't see what that has to do with anything else that's in this
message.

> export _GRAALVM_HOME=.../graalvm-ce-java17-22.1.0
> export PATH=${PATH}:${_GRAALVM_HOME}/bin
> which javac
> which java
> $
>
> bash: which: command not found
>
> # apt-get install which
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Unable to locate package which
> #

Currently, which is (still) provided by the 'debianutils' package.

There's a whole flap about that; the package maintainer doesn't think it
belongs there and doesn't want to keep maintaining it and apparently
wants to declare it deprecated in favor of the (not 100% comparable)
'command -v'. Other people dispute that, to some degree or another, and
there has been *far* more discussion of it than the whole thing would
seem to have deserved.

You can see reference to the bug reports involved in
/usr/share/doc/debianutils/changelog.Debian.gz, at least if you're
running the version that's in testing or newer.

I think the idea is that eventually there will (probably) be multiple
implementations of which provided by multiple packages, and you can
install and use whichever one you want via the Debian alternatives
system. But for the time being, the debianutils version seems to still
be the only one available, at least in testing.

--
   The Wanderer