Re: nft newbie

Le 07/07/2022 à 10:11, Roger Price a écrit :

I looked at the workstation example, but it doesn't even allow access via ssh. On my Debian 11 box I found /usr/share/doc/nftables/examples/workstation.nft which does show how to allow incoming ssh, http and https traffic.

Newbie 1: Is it normal for nftables configuration files to be executable?  As a newcomer, I expected something more "traditional", ie a file containing only key words and data values.

Yes it is. If you look at the first line you see it is a script to be evaluated by /usr/sbin/nft

Newbie 2: Command ls -l /etc/nftables.conf reports

    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 228 Jan 17  2021 /etc/nftables.conf*

This looks as if anyone can read and execute this file.  I tried as a simple user and got the error message

   /etc/nftables.conf:3:1-14: Error: Could not process rule: Operation not permitted
    flush ruleset

Is execution not permitted for non-root/non-file owner ?

nft configuration is indeed possible only for root.

Newbie 3: The configuration file begins with the Bash shebang #!/usr/sbin/nft -f but the Debian 11 man page for nftables says

  -f, --file filename Read input from filename. If filename is -, read from stdin.

and doesn't mention omitting the filename.  I'm guessing that -f with no file name means "read from the remainder of this file".  Is this correct?

It's very old for me (I began unix in 1990) but in my understanding when a file begins wth a shebang the line after the shebang is completed with the path to the file and the full line is then executed, thus You'll end with a command line of /usr/sbin/nft -f /etc/nftables.conf