Re: random process crashes in virtualbox guests (clocksource problem?)

Hello Michael,

I am seeing a similar issue but only when using the kernel
5.10.0-15-amd64 on the virtual host.

I run Firefox inside a virtual machine.  Both the host and the virtual
guest run Debian Bullseye and both are fully patched.

If I run the following setup then everything is OK
Host:  5.10.0-14-amd64  (version '14' kernel)
Guest: 5.10.0-15-amd64  (version '15' kernel)

If I run the following setup then Firefox crashes regularly
Host:  5.10.0-15-amd64  (version '15' kernel)
Guest: 5.10.0-15-amd64  (version '15' kernel)

The only difference is the kernel version on the virtual host. Firefox
never sees this kernel so I do not think this is a Firefox issue.

There seems to be some regression in the newer kernel version.  I have
found it very difficult to track down what the issue is but it is
completely reproducible.

Could you try booting the 5.10.0-14-amd64 kernel on the host to see if
your problem disappears?

Does anyone have any suggestions what can be done to track down this
issue?

Regards,

Richard