Re: stopping job before shutdown.

On Wed 29 Jun 2022 at 20:49:40 (+0200), tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 08:42:44PM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> > Will Mengarini wrote:
> > > I feel old.
> > > http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/B/Big-Red-Switch.html
> >
> > Me too. This button pressing for shutdown frightens me.
> > Two years ago i had to craft a molly-guard for the on-off-button
> > on top of this box:
> >   https://static3.caseking.de/media/image/thumbnail/geph-004_geph_004_05_800x800.jpg
> >
> > I cut a small piece from the transparent lid of a CD case and rasped
> > it to have elegantly rounded corners. A stripe of transparent tape
> > serves as hinge. It's not obscuring the blueish light ring around the
> > button and the disk activity LED in the little hole but still highly
> > safe against human error.
>
> Nice :-)

My problem was the opposite on this laptop (Dell D430):

https://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/_migrated/pics/rechts_wlan_offen.jpg

If anything touched that button, it would boot up while, say,
closed, padded, and packed in a rucsac. And it ran very hot at
the best of times.

> You could teach your operating system to ignore the ACPI event, then
> you'd have to lean on the button for three interminable seconds to
> havoc your file system (although file systems tend to take hard
> shutdowns without too much fuss these days, ah, they don't build
> things like they used to ;-)

What I would have liked is a default Grub entry that just shutdown
again if no key was pressed (which couldn't happen of course while
the laptop was closed up).

> > Note that the manufacturer took care to armor the USB sockets and the
> > Reset button by a sturdy hatch.

Ah, I haven't seen a reset button for twenty years. The first thing
I used to do whenever I acquired a PC was to disconnect its little
reset cable from the connector on the motherboard.

Cheers,
David.