Re: user perms

On Mon, 13 Jun 2022 19:03:47 -0400
gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

> Kmail5 is buggier than road kill in June, but t-bird is more like
> August, so
>
> I'm looking for a mailer that actually works. tbirds sort filters
> don't, and
>
> they think everybody uses only html, so word wrap doesn't work So I'm
>
> doing this by hand..

Have you tried Claws-mail? It used to be a bit buggy, but usable, but
I haven't had any trouble for quite a while (the remaining bugs are
well-hidden). I switched to it when I finally tired of waiting for TB
to wake up and do things, it was cheaper than buying a faster computer.

> So my only instant question is when will the developers understand
> that
>
> stuff that runs as a $USER, needs one of two changes, either a .conf
> file
>
> someplace readable by the $USER that tells things like t-bird,
> running as
>
> the user, can have write privs to /var/log, /or/ an entry in that
> *.conf so

I haven't installed MS Office for a while, but last time I did, it
required root privileges on the first run, as all previous versions
have done. A user file had to be created in a Windows system
directory. It was no good doing it as root, each *user* had to be given
admin privileges for that first run (of each Office component) and if
the IT admin isn't allowed to know the users' passwords (as he
shouldn't be) this required the presence of the user, at least to log
on. In an office where anyone may log on to any computer, that's a
monumental pain. When last I had to do that, there was no centralised
way to do it, even in a domain.

Beat that.

--
Joe