Re: Permanent email address?

	Hi.

On Sun, May 15, 2022 at 10:08:57AM -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> My understanding is that the (only?) way to do get such a permanent address is
> to have my own domain and assign an email address in that domain to me?

If you have to be in control over sending and receiving e-mail you'll
need your own MTA. That implies a domain you control.

> Also, iiuc, I cannot move my gmail address to some other provider?

You cannot. But Google is merely following a common practice here, i.e.
I know nobody in that market that can provide such a service for you.
You can buy a domain and use Google MTAs to serve e-mails for it, but
you cannot transfer it anywhere. I.e. you can change DNS records, run a
different MTA, but you'll lose your mail at Google.

> I'm also aware that there are some, iiuc, "free" top level domains -- I
> vaguely remember an announcement some years ago, .xxx sticks in my mind as one
> of them

That one is usually associated with pr0n. Conversing with a "permanent
e-mail" in such domain is probably not the best idea.

> -- ahh, maybe not, but I can't remember the others -- is .name one of
> them?

In a way, yes. .name domain will still cost you about $5 per year, $10
at max. But then .net domain will cost you about the same (it does for
me, at least), and .net is more popular.

> (I was going to send that longer post to the list seeking confirmation on the
> various things I think I learned (or assumed), and I may do that later (and
> consider adding it to my wiki) just for education and posterity.)

IMO you're trying to solve a simple problem the hard way.

Rent yourself a VPS, buy a domain, set up MTA and some kind of IMAP/POP
server. It's not that hard if you're going to use it for yourself only.

Reco