Re: smartctl puzzlement new disk

On 5/13/22 19:02, ghe2001 wrote:
Supermicro workstation, Debian Buster, smartctl v 6.6

I bought a new 12TB Western Digital Gold SATA disk the other day.  After testing it, smartctl says, among other things:

  22 Unknown_Attribute       0x0023   001   001   025    Pre-fail  Always   FAILING_NOW 13

And it looks like the test is aborted when smartctl sees that error.  And there's lots of yelling all over my monitor.

I found some discussion of ID 22 on the 'Net -- it's often used to mean 'helium level' which makes some sense on a 12TB disk.  But testing the Seagate 12TB next to the Western Digital is OK -- sorta; there's no ID 22 in the output.

The Wikipedia article on S.M.A.R.T lists ID 22 as having to do with the helium.

On the web, it looked like there's a way of changing what ID 22's called so smartctl won't hurl.  I'd like the test to just keep going and tell me the other things it finds.

My questions:

Is this error on ID 22 anything to worry about?
(I'm guessing that it isn't, and smartctl and/or something in the Western Digital disk's firmware is mildly wrong)

Is there really a way to change 22 so smartctl will report the helium level?  How do I do that?

Is there a way to to get smartctl to finish the test?  If so, how do I do that?

TIA...

I would download, install, and run the Western Digital WD Drive Utilities to test the drive:

    https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?FW&lang=en&family=wdretailkits

If the tool finds a problem with the drive, it should provide the information needed to process a warranty claim with Western Digital. Or, if the purchase was recent enough, to get an RMA and refund from the seller.

David