Re: Editing the DNS with Network Manager Non Root

David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> writes:

> On 5/13/22 09:02, Richmond wrote:
>> David Christensen writes:
>
>>> If I choose "Automatic (DHCP) addresses only", the labels for the
>>> second and third settings change.  Putting in some test data:
>>>
>>>      Additional static addresses -> Add:
>>> 	Address -> 192.168.123.45
>>> 	Netmask -> 255.255.255.0
>>> 	Gateway -> 192.168.5.1
>>>
>>>      DNS servers -> 192.168.123.45,192.168.123.67
>>>
>>>      Search domains -> frunobulax.org
>>>
>>>      DHCP client ID -> empty
>>>
>>>      Require IPv4 addressing for this connection to complete -> unchecked
>>>

>>> I then click "Save".
>>>

>>> I then enter the root password in the pop-up that opens.
>>>

>>> I then close the "Network Connections" window and reboot.
>>>
>>> 2022-05-12 16:10:25 dpchrist@laalaa ~
>>> $ ls -l /etc/resolv.conf
>>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 104 May 12 16:09 /etc/resolv.conf
>>>
>>> 2022-05-12 16:10:34 dpchrist@laalaa ~
>>> $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
>>> # Generated by NetworkManager
>>> search frunobulax.org
>>> nameserver 192.168.123.45
>>> nameserver 192.168.123.67
>>>

>>> Is this the results you expect?
>
>> I didn't put in a search domain, netmask, or gateway.
>

> Put them in and try again.  Without crawling the code, we have no idea
> what actually matters.
>

>> I didn't get prompted for root access. Perhaps that is the problem?
>

> I would suspect it indicates that Network Manager does not think your
> network settings changed.
>

>> stat /etc/resolv.conf shows that the file has been updated but its
>> content doesn't change.
>

> My /etc/resolv.conf did not change after running Network Manager; it
> changed after rebooting.  (Is the former a bug or a feature?)
>

> What happens if you create a new connection and use the Manual method?
>

> If all else fails -- backup, pull the OS disk, insert a blank disk, do
> a fresh install, and restore.  Keep meticulous records.  Use a version
> control system.  Learn a scripting language and automate sysadmin chores.
>

> David

I switched to the mate desktop, and the procedure works, i.e. it prompts
for a root password and updates resolv.conf, after disconnecting and
reconnecting the network.

I expect there is some component of xfce4 which is supposed to prompt
for the root password. Perhaps it is not installed. I don't know what it
is called.