Re: Installation fails to recognize SSD

On 5/10/22 17:54, Bruno Schneider wrote:
I'm trying to install Debian to a Acer Aspire notebook with SSD.
Before doing so, I tried to backup the previous Linux Install using
SystemRescue. I booted with a SystemRescue flash drive, but only the
USB flash drive was recognized and shown on fdisk list.

Then I booted with Debian Install on the flash drive and, again, when
it came to partitioning, no SSD was available. So, I suppose it is
some setup issue. I'm not very familiar with SSD drives.

On the notebook setup, under "Boot" section, I disabled "Secure Boot"
to be able to boot from flash drive. There is a "Boot Mode" set to
"UEFI", but I can't change that. Under "Security" menu, I don't see
any relevant options. Under "Advanced" there is only "Intel VTX" and
"Intel VTD", which don't seem relevant.

The previous Linux installation is using the SSD normally. What am I
doing wrong?

I have Dell Latitude 5400 laptop that I have been experimenting with:

1. Changing CMOS "Settings" -> "System Configuration" -> "SATA Operation" from "RAID On" to "AHCI" allows Debian to see the internal SSD.

2. "Legacy" mode (e.g. BIOS) no longer exists -- the firmware is UEFI only. The Debian Installer detects this and boots into UEFI mode.

3. I successfully installed Debian 11 onto a USB flash drive with "Secure Boot" enabled.

David