Re: Unlocking (remote/local), was Re: Help with suid (bash)

On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 11:08:23AM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 May 2022 07:50:18 -0400 rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> > Why the aversion to doing things as root? Why not just run your scripts
> > as root? This is exactly the sort of thing that is reserved to root for
> > reasons of security.
>
> That complicates unlocking partitions remotely because, even if you
> can log in as root, you normally can't log in remotely as root.

But you *can* typically sudo on the remote system, which is what is
actually being suggested here.  I think.

(Also, you'd be surprised how many systems *do* allow remote root logins,
either from a quasi-trusted set of source IPs, or using key auth only,
or both.)