Re: USB Debian 11 installer and target drive device node [was fstab problem]

On 5/9/22 12:58, David Wright wrote:
On Mon 09 May 2022 at 11:30:39 (-0700), David Christensen wrote:
On 5/9/22 10:21, David Wright wrote:
On Sun 08 May 2022 at 23:39:31 (-0700), David Christensen wrote:

As noted by another reader in another thread, the Debian 11 installer
appears to always assign /dev/sda to d-i USB installation media; in
spite of decades of standard practice of using the first drive node
for the target drive.  Thus, the target drive may have been /dev/sdb
at installation time, resulting in "sdb" in crypttab(5) and/or
fstab(5) entries rather than the conventional "sda".

This is news to me, and I'm not sure why you blame the d-i's going
against decades of precedent. Yes, it can happen, and I guess it might
be the result of the way the buses are configured inside the machine.
Gone are the simple days of PATAs on hda.

Anyway, here are six machines: three are laptops, three EFIs, one AiO,
one i386, all GPT, all netinst, variously 11.1–3 with firmware. All
except the last have the installer on sdb, and the reason there is
obvious.

I am unsure what is obvious about the last three.  Please clarify.

No, just the last /one/. The USB stick gets names sda because
there's no competition from the SSD, which is nvme0n1.

Okay.  That makes sense.

Did you install from a USB flash drive or from optical media?  If
optical, was the drive internal or external, and what was the
interface?

They're all booted off the same USB stick ...

I just did a few trials with debian-11.3.0-amd64-netinst.iso on a different laptop with a different USB target drive. The target drive came up as /dev/sda in each case (!). The results do not match my earlier trials on other computers and targets.

I can only conclude that this is a multi-dimensional problem where the target computer (and firmware) is one dimension and the target drive is an additional dimension.

David