Re: booting from install usb

Paul Scott composed on 2022-05-09 12:25 (UTC-0700):

> I let my laptop update its UEFI BIOS which of course zapped GRUB.

Not in the way you think...

> /dev.sda2 which is "ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)"

This should be the key, suggesting strongly that your Linux installation is
installed in UEFI mode. If this is the case, you should be able to fix the problem
via BIOS setup, to select the (presumably Debian) entry that is probably there to
select as top priority. Alternatively, having executed mount -a after chrooting,
running efibootmgr should allow reorganizing the priority list to put your choice
at the top, or to add a new one if the one you need to be first is missing.

	man efibootmgr
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata