Re: fstab problem [FIXED]

On 5/8/22 15:00, ghe2001 wrote:

On Sunday, May 8th, 2022 at 3:51 PM, David Christensen wrote:

My bad -- default options is spelled 'defaults'.

UUID=301d6d6d-6782-4be3-b979-0cb595ef1a48 /backupDisk ext4 defaults 0 0

Well, damned if it didn't work.  And I had all of my non-root fstab entries with singular defaults too.  Thanks vastly, David.

YW.

One character present, absent, or different is all it takes.

And, the error messages may or may not be helpful.

Related -- beware of "sda" vs. "sdb" in Debian 11 configuration files. As noted by another reader in another thread, the Debian 11 installer appears to always assign /dev/sda to d-i USB installation media; in spite of decades of standard practice of using the first drive node for the target drive. Thus, the target drive may have been /dev/sdb at installation time, resulting in "sdb" in crypttab(5) and/or fstab(5) entries rather than the conventional "sda". This break with convention cost me at least an hour of frustration recently, and I almost posted to this list.

David