Re: [SOLVED] Re: One-user system.

On Fri, 06 May 2022 19:30:01 +0200 gene heskett <gheskett@shentel.net>
wrote:

> On Friday, 6 May 2022 13:11:13 EDT Greg Wooledge wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 06, 2022 at 09:24:35AM -0700, peter@easthope.ca wrote:
>>
>>> What I'm doing is similar to using DOS years ago; although DOS
>>> predates experience of most people reading now.
>>
>> I think you're vastly underestimating the average age of subscribers
>> on this list.
>
> I think he might be too Greg. I'm 87, and largely bypassed
> dos on my way to linux in the 90's. We've come a long way,
> and if dos disappeared yesterday, I'd have bought a 6 pack
> for a mini-celebration last night.  We're still trying to
> put up with its lack of features other filesystems have
> given us since.

If Microsoft disappeared in its entirety, I'd buy a case of
champagne and invite my friends over for a _major_ celebration.
I've spent far too much of my career working around their
poor design decisions and outright bugs.

I'm 71, and started my programming career in 1970, five
years before Microsoft existed.  The machine at my first
job had a whopping 16K of memory.  We were a service
bureau, running things like payroll and accounts
receivable for companies all over town who couldn't
afford a computer of their own (i.e. most of them).

So when someone tells me how many gigabytes of memory
I'd need to do a job, I take it with a _very_ large
grain of salt.

    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the
    impossible for the ungrateful.  We have done so much,
    for so long, with so little, we are now qualified
    to do anything with nothing.”
      -- Konstantin Josef Jireček

--
/~\  Charlie Gibbs                  |  They don't understand Microsoft
\ /  <cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid>      |  has stolen their car and parked