Re: Odd reproducible problem - but is it a bug?

On Mon, May 02, 2022 at 03:43:41PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> Not bug - feature.

I disagree.  Strongly.  It is a CHANGE, but it is not a feature.

> See also su -
>
> It's in the release notes, I'm fairly sure.

It's also at <https://wiki.debian.org/NewInBuster#Changes>.  It has also
been discussed to death and beyond on this mailing list.  Literally
dozens, if not hundreds, of message have been posted about it over the
last couple years.

The fact that the OP never read any of them somehow fails to surprise me.

(Almost as much as the Debian maintainers refusing to ship a one-line
/etc/default/su file to fix the behavior of su fails to surprise me at
this point.  Fortunately, we can create that file ourselves and get
things back to normal.)