Re: file born 30 seconds after its creation on ext4 - bug?

On 2022-04-30 14:06:53 +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 10:33:34AM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> > I understand that Vincent Lefevre suspects these discrepancies to be a bug
> > in the ext4 driver. I rather suspect that ext4 is ok and that we observe
> > the effects of some other glitch which caused the ext4 driver to create
> > the finally observed file again, 30 seconds later.
>
> It sure looks like a bug. But it would be a bug at a spot where one would
> expect that it should have bitten oodles of other people by now, so that
> feeling that we must be missing something is as understandable.

Not necessarily. The bug might be new. It might be difficult to
reproduce, in particular if there is a race condition behind. It
might have occurred on other machines, but remained unnoticed,
because to notice it, one needs a specific sequence of operations
performed in a timely manner.

Bugs may exist, but may remain unnoticed for years. See for instance
this one I had found in 2006:

  "Good catch.  Wow, that bug has been in GNU cmp ever since it was
  entered into CVS in 1991."