Re: E: Package 'vlc' has no installation candidate ...

On Sun, 1 May 2022 11:18:23 +0000
"Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@einval.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 01, 2022 at 03:13:06PM +1000, Charlie wrote:
> > >

> > Thank you for that update. I will give your sources list a try because
> > my new Asus desktop install won't accept the sources list from my
> > working laptop:
> >
> > deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main non-free contrib
> >
> > with this message:
> >
> > Release file for http://deb.debian/dists/bullseye/InRelease is not
> > valid yet (invalid for another 5d 13h 52m 3s) Updates for this
> > repository will not be applied.
> >
> > Because the installer configured the Ethernet connection but could not
> > access the mirror, I put in the above from my home lappy, but still no
> > joy. So will try your sources list, thank you.
> >
> > Charlie
> > --
>
> Hi Charlie,
>
> That error is symptomatic of another problem: what time/date does the
> machine think it has.
>
> If files come from the future, it could be that the time or date is
> incorrectly set in firmware - or that something doesn't have a real
> time clock.
>
> That's fairly easily reset by using the date command and hwclock commands.
>
> I always have to check the syntax of the date command:
>
> date -u MMDDHHmmCCYY where u is for UTC
>
> date -u 050111132022
>
> would be round about now and would set the system time accordingly.
>
> hwclock --systohc
>
> would apply system time to the hardware clock (or --hctosys would go the other
> way].
>
> Hope this helps - with every good wish, as ever,
>
> Andy Cater

Thank you Andy, you are the man. Hit the nail squarely on the head.

The hardware clock thought it was in 2005-01-01

Using the guidance you posted. It worked a treat and could update and
would install packages.

Thank you for your help, it is extremely much appreciated.

Charlie
--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has
	genius, magic and power in it. Begin it now. ------Goethe

	Debian GNU/Linux - Magic indeed.